Saturday, August 25, 2007

Hot Days and Rainy Nights


So today was a tiresome day. It was so hot here, at least 97 degrees Fahrenheit, and the moisture just hung in the air. I try to be hopeful on days like these but the reality is that it is too hot to do anything but swim and sit. Nevertheless, we attempted to plow through our 'to do' list, accomplishing very little except irritating each other all day. Gotta love days like this. I breathed a sigh of relief when the kids went to sleep tonight and pray that this undeterred heat will lessen. Having only two window units to cool the entire house, things get pretty warm.


Some things on my mind tonight...

Last night Tom awoke to gun shots and police cars. That's the second time in three years that we have heard gun shots on this street. I do not feel as threatened as I thought I would, but again it makes me question what we are doing here. For the most part, life is usually pretty quiet and safe here. God has truly been at work in the hearts of people on this block and after three years, we are only beginning to deepen our relationships with our neighbors. Nevertheless, when things like this happen, I still question our resolve to stay. Ahhh....I guess ultimately I must rest in the sovereignty of our Holy God. But having said that, I am not always sure what that looks like.


Also...
I have observed in conversations of late, that too often propriety is valued over honesty, sentimentality wins over truth and we relentlessly pursue distraction in order to keep ourselves from reflecting on the struggles which should unite us Christians. Too often it seems that our dialogue is anemic. This superficiality troubles me because I know I am an expert at politely staying uninvolved. I pray that I would have the courage to recognize these pervasive conversational evils in myself. Hmm...

Good night.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Welcome, Andrea. I look forward to getting to know you even better through this blogging world.
I love the picture of the kids on your opening entry!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.